While we can’t all be Beyoncé, who made history when she headlined Coachella 2018 — bringing Destiny’s Child on-stage, as well as husband Jay-Z, and performing an epic dance routine with her sister Solange Knowles — Beyoncé’s makeup artist, Sir John, shares his secrets of exactly how she managed to look so flawless despite the sweltering California desert heat. He reveals genius ways he kept Queen Bey’s makeup perfect throughout her 2 hour, 24 song set, and not to mention 4 outfit changes, keeping her Coachella 2018 performance makeup in tact!
Try these makeup hacks yourself this summer!
1) Ditch your moisturiser to ensure makeup stays put on the day of a big event. Going to a wedding someplace hot? Don’t use moisturiser the day of — skip it! Sir John recommends starting with a layer of primer. Of course, don’t skip your SPF. Make sure your primer has an SPF of 30 or above or use an oil-free sunscreen.
2) Double down and layer up to make your look really last. Duality is key, so you want to make sure you use a liquid foundation and a powder buffed into it with a brush. Sir John explains if he’s using a cream blush, he uses a powder blush on top of it. He uses two layers of highlighter: a cream and a liquid. If he uses a cream eye shadow or liner, he then uses powder on top of it. Even on the brows, use a pomade with a powder on top. When you have that duality, it’s not going to go anywhere!
3) Don’t bake your face. “I have a quote, ‘I don’t bake, I cook,’” Sir John says. What that means is, he is against baking because he’s not a huge fan of putting so much powder on anyone. When you’re baking, you’re actually aging your complexion in a way. So, he only uses a loose powder or translucent powder just to absorb the oil in the foundation or concealer or t-zone.
4) Always blot before you powder. Between songs, Beyoncé’s MUA had less than a minute backstage to do touch-ups, during which point he made sure to soak up any oil or perspiration. You want to blot the oil or perspiration before you go in with powder. He said he used to live in New York City and would see women on the subway every morning applying powder when they’re shiny, pressing the oil back into the pores. You want to absorb that oil up and then place your powder.
5) And finally, lip prep is key! One trick for helping your lip colour last is to use a sugar scrub first. Then topped off the lips with a layer of the lipstick.